Who wants nothing? We all have a time when we want something. Five minutes of quiet or that new car or a night out or all the report card grades to be finished.
My first full day in Nakuru was uneasy for me. I was hesitant to bother anyone, didn't really have much to do, an empty kind of nothingness. I did enjoy lots of free reading time. I had plenty of time for reading not only my book, but God's Words, my devotional, and journaling. I spent a little time with the small ones when they went outside. Breakfast and lunch were granola bars, nuts, apples, and some trail mix for a snack. Nothing amazing, nothing important to do, was being a little too hesitant to jump into anything.
I was glad when Trena and her daughters came to get ready for the party that night. I had a ton of questions, poor Trena, and was ready to help anybody do anything.
I did get all the books I brought sorted and out and carried down to the classroom. Next I want to begin cleaning and going through what is available so the classroom is ready.
The party Saturday evening was for Dakota's birthday (she will be my third grader) and a welcome to Kenya for me and a welcome back to Kenya for Dakota's family, the Sammons. I met others who are here, long and short term. Hopefully I will remember some of their names the next time I see them. It was quite a feast with hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, homemade pretzel buns, homemade caramel corn, fruit, brownies and of course cake.
I couldn't really relate to all the conversations about who, what, and where, but enjoyed meeting these new faces, watching the children play, the great dinner, and the warm welcomes.
So nothing - it is really a great word, because nothing becomes something, quiet turns to noisy, alone turns to crowd, granola bar to hamburger. Even better - nothing, nothing, nothing can separate from the love of God.
So I took no pictures at the party. Set my camera down and forgot about it. But I did take this shot of Trena's youngest daughter who became officially hers just this month. (If you look on the side there are links to the blogs Trena has)
Josie Malaika Ivy-such a cutie
So for Saturday I will celebrate the joy of nothing-"Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:39

No comments:
Post a Comment