Friday, September 5, 2014

Siku Hamsini (Day Fifty) - a summary

Today is day fifty in Nakuru.  My Swahili has not improved much, but I try a few words once in awhile.  I have an app on the iPad to try and learn a few words, but my students often tell me that is not how you say it.  Second languages are not my strong point.

I do know all the toddlers by name and most of the aunties.  I know the baby names, but sometimes I still have to ask which one of the girls it is I am holding. 

It is still cool, and many afternoons and evenings it rains.  The rain fills the water storage tanks, so that is good.  I often find myself in flannel pajamas, wrapped in a blanket, and with heavy socks on while reading in the evenings.  If it is sunny out during the day, the sun heats you up quickly even as a cool breeze ruffles my now out-of-control, too long hair.  (Ruffles is a polite way of saying it is a total messy wreck.)

My students have now had 28 days of school.  We changed the schedule so on Mondays and Tuesdays just the first graders and the third grader come.  This allows me extra time with them and we are able to do more reading and other areas on their levels.  One of my younger students comes Wednesday to Friday and the other comes Wednesday and Friday.  This schedule works well, allowing more time with each level. 

We do art on Wednesday afternoons.  My idea source is stretched since our supplies are limited, but so far we have been busy every Wednesday.  We have done some projects related to science, and this week studied an artist and the method of pointillism.  The girls are always excited on Wednesdays and can’t wait to see what we will do.

They each have their favorite subject, and of course the subject that makes them moan, but they all continue to work hard and I am proud of the progress they are making.  Their favorite time is when I set the timer and each one gets a turn using the iPad for a few minutes.  I keep rotating the apps so there are always a few new ones. 

During our morning break some of the toddlers will be outside and I have a chance to interact with them.  Sometimes I go out on Mondays and Fridays after school to play again before it is naptime (theirs, sometimes me too).  They are in the playroom around 4:30 so that is another opportunity to interact with aunties and the littles, although many days I am busy working on things for the classroom in the afternoons. 

Monday through Friday fly by in a blur of teaching, finding new ideas or items to print, making games or thinking up games we can do.  Sometimes the weekend seems long, but I don’t mind a little time for a nap when I can.  I spend time reading, once in awhile I will set my iPad to download a show or movie and then watch it on the weekend.  Saturday is the day I clean my room.  I now mop my floor with a big rag, bending over to mop, like I have seen the aunties do.  It actually gets my floor much cleaner, but I do it in sections so I don’t throw out some muscle I forgot I have. 

On Wednesday nights the Bible study group meets with a potluck meal before hand.  I also brought some Bible study materials and am using those during the week and on Sundays.  Sometimes I listen to the sermon from my home church in Tomball on YouTube.  Last Sunday I went with the Sammons family to their church for worship.  It felt good to be with a group of people again worshipping our Lord and Savior, but I personally am gaining much from the studies I do also.  Either way is fine with me.   

If someone is going to town to shop, I catch a ride with them and try to find as much as I can while in the Nakumatt.  I am still really bad at finding items, and they don’t always have an item every time you go.  I don’t mind just having baked chicken or a ham sandwich, but I wish I were a little better at picking out ingredients that will actually make something.  I do much better with a recipe and an exact list of things to buy. 

Living in a city means having the advantage of the Nakumatt, a bathroom, electricity (most of the time), and Internet (most of the time).  I have enjoyed the couple of lunches out at Java (turkey bacon club sandwich is my favorite there) and the birthday lunch for one of my students at the Chinese restaurant.  Definitely not roughing it. 

No wild safaris or adventures, but who knows what the future months may bring?  Doesn’t matter because I am enjoying the experience here.  I love my five girls and am so happy to have the opportunity to be their teacher this year.  And of course, holding a baby now and then makes for a very good day.  There are times when I feel down and homesick, and even count the days until break, knowing God has each moment and I don’t want to miss any of them. 

Tomorrow after I scrub, wash clothes, and plan for the week I think I will try to teach Jabali more of the 1 2 3 Jesus Loves Me song (blessed that he doesn’t care I can’t carry a tune).

“But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."  2 Peter 3:8

3 comments:

Chris Bregenzer said...

Hi, Alaine! Enjoying your blog so much (even tho I may not comment.) Have you gone to The Terrace Restaurant at the Midland Hotel in Nakuru yet? We ate their char-grilled chicken platter for lunch when we traveled from Nairobi to Kericho, the town where we did a mission eye clinic last April. The food at The Terrace was delicious & is Paul Althoff's favorite place to eat in Nakuru.
Chris

Anonymous said...

I loved the peek at your day to day. Your shoulder doctor would be excited to see you mopping with a rag - sounds like a perfect PT exercise. I can't wait until we get a ggurl day and you get to share some of your spiritual growth/insights from the trip so far. Miss you, but know you are in the palm of His hand. M-

Anonymous said...

Typing in the car....girl day..