First, I am awful at learning languages. I have picked up a few words like tuk tuk, chapati, asante, and a few more I recognize and understand when I hear them. The girls try to help me, but I think they are better students than I am.
This is my favorite lunch at the baby house - chapati and lentils (for which there is a name when they are cooked but don't ask me what that is right now).
I am also pretty good at doing my bucket laundry. Well, maybe I should say none of my clothes stink enough to drive people away - at least not at this point. I usually fill the bucket while I shower (although I only shower if the water is warm, which so far I have had more warm than cold showers) Then I add some soap and wash a few small items or a shirt out. I am not sure I am that good at rinsing, so it I get caught in the rain I may create a walking bubble.
I did decide to ask one of the aunties to help me by doing the sheets and towels. Those are a little two large for my bucket. I may soon be asking her to do more of my laundry, but for now I think I have a system that works.
Last night I went to my second Wednesday night Bible study. I really like the time to listen to the others share and the fellowship. They do a potluck before the study so there is time to chat and relax.
Today I enjoyed some time in town, thanks to one of the moms giving me a ride. I actually managed to bank, cross streets without getting killed (this traffic is crazy and I keep forgetting they drive on the left side of the road), enjoy a lemonade while reading a bit, got more safari com for me and to use in classroom (makes my phone a hot spot to use Internet), and shopped at the Nakumatt. I so appreciate the rides since in all honesty once I get to the bottom of the hill the baby house is on, I am not getting back up.
So slowly but surely I am adjusting, loving my girls and times with the babies and toddlers, getting to know the aunties, appreciating all the kindness shown me by Trena, Bekah, Brie, and countless others. Not as much down time now as I am busy planning and using the resources I have to make games or lessons. I still have time for quiet time in the mornings, and reading God's Word, my books, emailing or blogging in the evenings.
Some days I get caught up in my own insecurities, or feel homesick, but God is good and constantly reminds me in my time with Him that He is all the security I need. He calls me to come to Him when I am burdened and heavy hearted. How good it is to rest in His arms.


No comments:
Post a Comment