Monday, April 27, 2015

Jambo is for Tourists

Greetings are important here, but the only time I have been greeted with "jambo" was while on the trip to the Maasai Mara last week, always with great enthusiasm and a big smile.

We stayed at the Sarova Game Camp - not camping in the definition of tent, ground, outside - but as in a TENT which is a very nice room built with a canvas siding, flaps for the windows, but has floors, nice bathroom, great bed.....

We left Nairobi on Wednesday morning in a 20 passenger plane for a 45 minute flight to our stop in the Mara.  Rain has already begun in the Mara so zebra and wildebeest have started to migrate in small  numbers.  The grasses were mostly green and growing.  Vast, immense, as far as you can see - the Mara is large, and actually continues into Tanzania where it changes its name to the Serengeti.

I took lots of pictures, far too many to put here, and I don't have the adjectives to describe the beauty of this game reserve.  We were treated to a mini game drive upon our arrival, after being greeted with sweet smelling washcloths to wipe our hands, cookies, fruit, and juices.  During the drive we had a cooler of water and soft drinks to choose from, tomato and cucumber sandwiches, and sightings of our first animals.

I went to the Maasai village on the edge of the reserve.  This village allows the tourists to come in for a fee.  The money paid goes towards the education of the children and the upkeep of the families living there.  The young man who took us in told us so much about how they used to live, what has changed for them. the dances they did, took us into a home (tiny, dark, hot, smokey, smelly) and we could buy items made by the women or carvings made by the men.  (Did my first bartering over the price to be paid-won't say I am very good at it, but at least now I can say I have done it on my own)

Truly the earth is the Lord's, His work is evident in His creation, and all of creation cries out in praise of the one who made them.  My pictures don't do justice to this amazing place, and maybe someday I can return during the peak season to see the big migration.  




No comments: