These are just a few of my "joyful" things (in no particular order):
1. Jabali calling out "Miss Alaine, Miss Alaine" as he comes to me across the yard or playroom.
(Please pray for Jabali. He often says he is "going home"-this little boy needs a family. Jabali is three.)
2. The words "I just need a hug." (said by one of my girls)
3. Wednesday evenings when Bible Study meets. I so enjoy the fellowship and the time to listen and learn from God's Word.
4. The chatter of the toddlers reaching me from the yard.
5. Being mobbed in the playroom by four or five toddlers.
6. Having finally figured out the oven enough to not burn everything to a crisp.
7. Finding something (like Betty Crocker cake mixes) at the Nakumatt.
8. Short walks down the road and back.
9. The quiet greetings given by people I pass on the road, some in Swahili, some just "hi", and the children who giggle and wave and sometimes call out to the "mzungu" (white person)
10. Early mornings on the back steps reading God's Word and watching the sun rise.
(the sunflower field is now browns instead of green, the changing of "seasons")
11. The look on Moses' face during a haircut.
12. Lizzy in her wheelchair. That smile shines like the sun.
13. My girls. (Julia left for time in America on September 18-we miss her but know she is having a great time. Can't wait to see her on Nov. 15 at the benefit dinner in Houston)
Dakota, Hope, and Kate - they dressed to represent a VBS theme they had done.
Sweet Lucy - into her art project.
Julia with Kate and Dakota at the reunion lunch.
14. The babies and toddlers - love these faces - and the aunties who care for them.
Outnumbered is fine when it is by all this cuteness.
Jacob-melts my heart.
Kennedy photo bombs Caleb.
Tracy, HOH social worker, holding "my" baby, Gloria.
I was trying to get recent pictures of all of them, but it is not so easy to do when three of them are on your lap, two want the camera, one wants to see every picture you take.....and I adore it all.
15. A hot shower - you don't just turn on the water here.
The shower head is about two to three feet above my head, so when they replaced my old one...
I put a stool in the shower, stepped up on the stool, because you have to adjust the temperature using....
Now you turn on the water, pray there is enough water pressure, let it run a few seconds....
and flip this magic switch which is on the wall outside the bathroom. If all is working you get a hot shower, and hopefully not electrocuted or frozen. It is an interesting system, especially when you are short, and feels so good when all is working together. Thankful for the new shower head I got a while ago also as it works so much better than the last one.
16. All the blessings I daily receive in knowing these people and the support from the families of my girls, meeting others who serve here in a variety of ways, studying God's Word with some of them, and seeing the joy they have in their service.
Life in Kenya is not always easy and quick, even little things like cleaning take forever. Some days it feels like an uphill climb all the way. This is the calling I have accepted, for this time, in this place. I see Him in the details of my days, in the good that emerges so often, and in knowing the future days are in His hands.
Please pray for all the babies and children here - that they may be in a forever family, either reunited with their own families or adopted into a new family. Pray for the Sammons family, the Mosley family and Trena - all serving Him here and all important parts of my life here. Pray that during these next two and a half weeks I will be able to accomplish much with my girls and be ready to leave them for my break in America. Give thanks with me for Liam and Peris, back with family; for Lizzy's wheelchair; for the people who sent supplies for the class and for me.
"Let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches." 1 Corinthians 7:17 ESV
"The peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7






2 comments:
Love, love, love the post! I know it's not always easy or familiar, and of course, we miss you more than words can say, but so wirth it because I can see the love and joy of Christ in each photo and I can hear the Spirit at work in your thoughts and thankfulness. May God richly bless you and the girls (and all of those precious little ones) in the coming days. Can't wait to see you and hear all about it in person.
Much love,
M-
Worth not wirth...fat thumbs. :)
Post a Comment