Friday, May 30, 2014

Every Good and Perfect Gift

One of my favorite reads is the book of James in the New Testament.  And chapter one of James contains one of my favorite thoughts:
 
"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."  James 1:17
 
How comforting and encouraging to know that our heavenly Father has our good in His hands.  That He is unchanging, unlike our emotions and routines He is constant. 
 
As I watched and participated in the graduation of our eighth graders, I remembered some of them as kindergartners, which seems so long ago.  Others I have known only for a year or two.  Some have very special places in my heart and memories.  Now they are going to high school, and for some it may be exciting, for others a little scary, a happy time, a sad time. 
 
For me it was bitter sweet - once they move on to high school I don't see them very often, maybe not at all, but knowing I will be gone next school year made it seem so final.  They are part of the good and perfect gifts in my life, and I rejoice in the little time I had them.
 
What a blessing to see God work through them, their families, all the other students and families, my congregation, and friends to support me as I prepare to leave for Kenya. 
 
And what a blessing to remember God is unchanging and wants good for me as my emotions run from joy to the what ifs, from excitement to terror and panic, and to know that each and every day will be in His control.
 
I sit here looking at a beautiful bouquet of flowers, a gift from one eighth grader and his family, and I know that while they will wilt and die, the good and perfect memories will not, and I am thankful for the moments I have had.  I look forward to the ones to come.

No comments: