Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What's My Story?

My church family has been asking to think about our story.  My thought was I didn't really have a story.  I was raised by parents whose church was not only a place of worship, but the center of social life, friends, and picnics.  I learned the Bible stories, memorized the verses, went to classes, and moved on to attend a Christian college and become a teacher in schools of the Lutheran church. 

There were times I walked away, that is plural,  I even left the church and teaching for a time.  But somewhere in all the mess God had a plan.  As a self-proclaimed control freak, I was not the best at waiting patiently or even staying on the path...but here I am, still teaching, still learning, and getting ready to serve Him in a whole new place.

When the plan to help a teacher go on a mission trip to Kenya was presented to us in 2009, I didn't really think about it.  That was way too far out of my comfort zone.  Sure, I like to travel, but only to stay, go to a few tourist places, and then come home.  I had no desire to experience mission work far away. 

Funny how my plans don't always fit God's - and how a book can lead you to think about what kind of Christian you are - and how the quiet voice of the Holy Spirit can seem to be screaming....so I filled out the application form, and promptly forgot about it.  There was an interview, and I went and answered questions, and promptly forgot about it. 

Guess what?  I was going to Kenya.  I was going on a mission trip.  I told God we were going to talk.  It is possible to be terrified, unbelieving, excited, and overwhelmed all at once.
I told God I liked my little, comfortable box - but also realized I had been a complacent Christian-not boldly living for Him.  

So I went to Kenya - not just once, but four times.  The people, their true joy, their outlook on the life they had, and the sacrifices they often made for their families, for their faith - their willingness to serve - how much I learned.  I still am not a crazy, outgoing person - but I am not so scared to crawl out of my box now.  And God has a plan, oh my, the perfect plan.
 


Second mission trip to Kenya

No comments: